Due to careless behavior of people, many houses catch fire every year resulting in loss of property and lives. You must also have heard news of houses catching fire causing irreparable loss and you will definitely not want this happen to you. Therefore you must be looking for some tips and precautionary measures to prevent your house from fire. Yes…You have searched a helpful and useful post as I am going to give you some precious tips to prevent fire in your home. Follow these and stay safe and secured:
- An important factor that becomes a cause of fire in your home may be careless smoking behavior of your family members. Therefore ask smokers in your house to use matches and lighters carefully and dispose off cigarettes butts properly. Lighters and matches should be kept out of reach of children and ashtrays should be kept clean.
- You would definitely not want to become a cause of a fire in your beautiful house so never ever smoke in bed. Even ask your guests to avoid smoking while lying in bed because if one tends to sleep while smoking, one’s burning cigarette can easily cause a devastating fire.
- Burning candles should not be kept at some place where they can be knocked over quickly. Always take care not to leave a candle unattended and extinguish it immediately after using it. Burning candles need special care to be watched if you have pets and kids running carelessly in your home.
- Sitting near fireplace feels very cozy and comfortable in extreme winter season but take care that you are not wearing loose or adorned clothes while sitting beside fireplace as loose clothes can catch fire. Moreover watch out regularly that your fireplace and chimney remains clean.
- You must have electric and gas heaters in your home but while they are burning, don’t leave them unsupervised especially if you have young kids and pets. Before sleeping or leaving home, make sure that you have turned heater off.
- Don’t forget checking electrical appliances. Keep them in order and check that there are no loose connections and damaged wires. A fire caused by short-circuit may become very dangerous for you and your family. Again I will request you to turn off all extra electric appliances before going to bed.
- Let’s come toward some instruments that must be present in your house to prevent it from fire. These instruments include fire extinguisher and smoke detectors. Ensure the presence of a fire extinguisher in high risk areas of your house like in kitchen, near fireplace and in garage. Do practice to operate them and check them regularly for their pressure.
- As far as smoke detectors are concerned, they must be installed on every level of your home even in the basement and upper floor. I think that there is no need to remind you that a smoke detector should also be installed in your bed room. Check smoke detectors regularly to know that they work properly.
- Installing a rope ladder in some windows in upper story is also a good idea but ensure that all your family members know how to use it in case of emergency.
- As a precautionary measure, make and practice an emergency escape plan. Discuss this plan with all your family members and also practice it frequently.
If you follow these tips carefully, I assure you that you will be able to prevent your house from catching fire. Stick to these tips and become a savior of your happy family.