Falling ill while travelling is quite common. The reasons of sickness are many. There are new atmosphere, disturbed sleeping schedules and unfamiliar food and water. All these factors weaken our immune system and make us vulnerable to viruses and bacteria. But there are some tips which can be followed to make a trip enjoyable without falling ill:
- Always take a hand sanitizer with you on your trip and try to wash your hands as many times as possible because trains and buses contain different germs. Doing this will protect you against germs.
- Don’t try to eat raw vegetables and fruits as they can make you ill. If you have to eat raw fruits and vegetables, wash them thoroughly before eating. At the same time raw meat and unpasteurized milk is also harmful and can cause traveler’s diarrhea.
- Bottled water is recommended to drink while traveling. If bottled water is not available, take water that has been boiled properly. Similarly, canned and branded fizzy drinks are safe for drinking. Before taking these beverages, wipe their facade area that can touch your mouth.
- If you are unable to boil water, you can also purify it through a chemical process. Iodine tablets are available at stores and pharmacies. They can be poured in water to purify it.
- Don’t brush your teeth with tap water as it may be contaminated. Contaminated tap water may cause many diseases like diarrhea.
- If you are going to a place where there will be hot and humid conditions, you must take sunscreens with you. Sometimes excessive sunlight can cause skin burn.
- Also take bug sprays with you along with other medications. Apply bug sprays and lotions frequently to protect you from malaria and dengue fever.
- During long flights, deep vein thrombosis can be a threat to your health. To avoid this, move around as much as you can and move your legs and feet frequently.
Watching new places and experiencing new foods is a part of traveling. By taking a few precautionary measures, you can make your trips even more enjoyable and memorable by avoiding any sickness. So follow the above tips and make sure that you are not going to bring illness among the gifts you bring home from your trip.