When our body is exposed to excessive heat, sunstroke occurs. In this condition, heat regulating system of body fails and as a result our major body organs are damaged. Sunstroke mostly occurs in elders but some people and kids who are sensitive can be suffered by this. When sunstroke occurs, there are a number of things which you can do at home as first aid. But before this, you will need understanding its symptoms so that you can identify it and treat it properly.
Symptoms of Sunstroke
These are some of the main causes of sunstroke:
- Fast Breathing
- Abrupt Faintness
- High fever (shooting up to 40 degrees)
- Fast Pulse
- Mental Disorder
- Cessation of Sweat
- Dry and Hot Skin
- Muscular Pain and Contraction
These were some major symptoms of sunstroke. If you find above mentioned symptoms in a person, it means he/she is suffering from sunstroke. In this condition, all you need to do is to provide first aid immediately. The things which you can do include the following:
- If you are out of home and you feel some symptoms of sunstroke, try to find some air conditioned area instead of going under a sunshade.
- Next thing you will need to do is to put off clothes to release heat out of your body. Especially take off your shoes, socks and cap immediately.
- Try to drink as much of water as you can as it will control dehydration. You can also take other liquids as well. For example, you can take oral dehydration solution which contains adequate amount of water and sugar. This solution restores mineral content of your body and helps a lot.
- Take a cool bath after taking enough rest. If you can not take bath, you can rub your face, neck, arms and forehead with water.
- Apply ice packs on neck and armpits. It would work even better if you will arrange a lime with ice pack. To maintain coolness, you can also apply mud pack on eyes.
- You can also wrap your body with wet towel or cloth to decrease body temperature.
- Onions are proved to be very effective for the treatment of sunstroke. Rub onion juice on your palms and soles as well. Another way is to smell cut onion as a remedy of sunstroke.
- Try to eat fruits and vegetables especially those which contain high amount of water in them. You can have watermelon, oranges and pineapple.
- Use buttermilk for treating sunstroke. Take 2 to 3 glasses of buttermilk everyday until you are completely recovered.
It is a famous saying “Prevention is better than cure” so it is better to prevent yourself from scorching heat of summer. Always take an umbrella or wear a hat before going into sun and use light colored and loose clothes in summer. Try to drink lot of water and it is recommended to keep a water bottle always with you.