Cracked heel is a problem that mostly occurs in winter season. Cracked heels can make you embarrassed at public places. People do a lot of things to hide this problem like they always wear socks and covered shoes. Are you also among those people who can not enjoy wearing revealing shoes? Don’t worry. There are a number of home remedies for cracked heels but firstly you would require knowing causes of cracked heels so that you can treat them properly. Here are some common causes of cracked heels:
- Cracked heels may be caused by untidy feet.
- Cracked heels may also be caused by over weight as in that case, they are under more pressure.
- Using ill-fitted shoes may be a cause of cracked heels.
- Standing barefooted on hard surface for longer period of time is also a cause of cracked heels.
- You may also suffer from cracked heels if you have dry skin and you do not moisturize your feet properly.
- Some problems like diabetes, thyroid disease and eczema can also result in cracked heels.
- You may have cracked heels if you have deficiency of essential vitamins, minerals and zinc.
Remedies for Cracked Heels
After washing your feet well, apply vegetable oil and let it absorbed in affected area.
You can also apply a mixture of glycerine and rose water for treatment of cracked heels. Apply this mixture to your feet everyday and within days you will feel the difference.
Raw glycerine can also be applied on cracked heels.
Soak your feet in lemon juice for 15 minutes daily to get rid of cracked heels.
Melt some paraffin wax and mix it with mustard oil. Apply this paste on affected area in night and rinse properly in morning.
You can soak your feet in warm and salty water to soften your feet. Then you can use a pumice stone to scrub affected area. This process will remove dead cells. After doing this, apply a moisturizing lotion or cream.
Other Tips for Cracked Heels
- First of all do not walk barefooted on hard floor and always remember to use soft shoes.
- Always wear shoes with close backs.
- Buy footwear with a good sole in shoe.
- Use medicated moisturizing creams having aloe vera.
- Make a habit of using cotton socks as they prevent skin from becoming dry.
Food Which you Should Eat
You can not only apply different creams and lotions to prevent cracked heels but there are also some foods which you should eat as well. Take foods having vitamin E as it cures this problem. Some foods containing this vitamin are green vegetables, cereals, nuts and wheat germ. Also take foods which contain calcium, iron and zinc. For this, you can take milk, cheese, yogurt, chicken, beans, brown rice and fish etc.