Candles are important and quite interesting items that are used in home decoration. You can either purchase decorative candles or make them at home. There are a number of ways available for making candles at home. But regardless of the way you use to make candles, the process of making candles remains the same like melting the wax, adding colors and fragrance and pouring it in mold. If you are really interested in making candles at home then read this article as it will help you a lot because it is full of useful tips.
- First of all you will have to decide that which type of wax you want to use for making candles. There are a lot of types of waxes that are available in the market like soy wax, bayberry wax and beeswax. But the most popular wax that is used for making candles at home is paraffin wax because it is easy to make candles with this wax and most importantly, it is not expensive at all. Moreover, it is easily available at grocery stores.
- Then you will have to choose about the shape of the candles. Most popular style that is used is pillar style as candles in this style stand on the tables very securely and they burn for a longer time as compared to that of other styles. You can make candles in different interesting shapes like pyramids, flowers, apples and others but these types of candles need to be placed in candle holders. Different molds are available in the market for making different shapes of candles like cylindrical pillar molds are available for making pillar candles.
- Adding color to candles is completely up to your choice. It may depend on your liking and the color scheme and other decoration items in the room. For making different colors, color chips are used. These are highly-concentrated pigments and a little amount of them is added to melted wax.
- Fragrance is another thing that can be added to your homemade candles. Candle scents are available in liquid form and can be purchased in different quantities ranging from one ounce to 50 pound barrels. For one pound of wax, you will need about half or one ounce of fragrance. Both scents and colors are added to the wax in the melting pot having wax in it. As the wax will melt, all the ingredients will be mixed well in the wax.
- After all the ingredients including scents and colors are mixed well with the wax, the wax is ready to be poured into the mold. Make sure that the mold should have a wick inserted into it. Pull the wick in the pillar mold through the wick hole to make sure that wick stands straight. After that pour the wax into the mold and let it cool before removing the candle.
These were some important tips that will help you a lot in making candles at home.