Nail biting is as such not a very bad habit but it looks annoying and irritating and many parents have such kids who develop this habit. Are you also worried for your child’s nail biting habit? Don’t worry as there are several ways to top this habit. Some of these are given below:
- The first and very easy way to stop this habit is to teach kids to knit. When they will make attractive and creative things with yarn, their hands will be occupied and they will totally forget about biting their fingernails.
- Another way to keep kids’ hands occupied is to give them something to play with. Play-Doh plays an important role in this regard. It will not only keep hands of your kid occupied but at the same time it will enhance his creative skills.
- If you have a daughter who has adopted this habit then take her for professional manicure because it becomes easier to stop nail biting when your daughter will see her nails beautiful and filed properly.
- Use bitter nail polish that is sold at most of drug stores. When your kid will put his fingers in mouth, he will experience an unpleasant taste which will remind him not to do this again.
- Always carry a nail filer with you because children are more likely to bite their nails when they found their nail edges jagged. Carrying a nail filer will help you to take care of these jagged edges and you will be able to remove them immediately.
- Children find it very difficult to leave this habit so don’t punish them for biting their nails. Instead of it, be patient and compassionate and always encourage kids to leave this bad habit.
- If you see that your kid has started leaving this habit or at least tried to do so, reward them. Rewarding kids will motivate them and they will stop biting their nails soon after this.
- If you feel that nail biting is a result of your kid’s anxiety and worry, then I would recommend you to consult a doctor for better help and consultation. Also talk to your child if he is worried about something and try to reduce his tension.
Follow these simple steps as they have been proved very effective to stop nail biting in children.