Noise pollution is increasing day by day due to which our ears are at great risk. Noise pollution can disturb our health and can cause deafness and other ear problems. Researches have proved that continuous exposure to loud sounds spoils hearing ability so it is necessary to lessen the use of high volume devices. Besides doing this, there are a number of other tips which you can follow to prevent hearing loss:
- Make a habit to use earplugs while swimming or taking bath. The water in swimming pool may be contaminated and can infect the ears. Earplugs should also be used when you are using lawn mowers, power tools and loud appliances.
- Nature has also managed to protect ears from damaging. There are glands in ear which produce wax to prevent germs and foreign bodies from entering our ear. Wax acts as a natural protector so avoid removing it using sharp objects. Do not even try to clean your ear with cotton swab as by doing this; you can push the wax down the ear which can cause hearing loss on being accumulated.
- Be careful about volume of sound which you are listening especially while using headphones. If you are using headphones all day long to listen music, make sure that volume is not more than 50 percent. You are required understanding that slower music can also give you same amount of entertainment as louder music. Slowing volume will not affect your entertainment and at the same time, it will have a positive effect on hearing ability.
- Hearing loss mostly occurs due to prolonged exposure to noise. If you have to listen to loud noises for long period of time, give a break to your ears for sometime. Prolonged exposure to loud noise affects your ear in the same way as loud volume does so avoid listening louder sounds for longer period of time.
- You should also avoid ototoxic drugs as they are dangerous for ears. Take drugs which have been prescribed under proper medical supervision. If you feel hearing loss after taking some kind of medicine, let your doctor know about it immediately.
- Head and ear injuries during accidents are also a cause of hearing loss. You can protect yourself by wearing a helmet while driving a cycle or bike as helmets protect skull and ears in case you meet an accident.
- If you feel some weakness in your hearing ability, immediately consult your doctor. Delay in check-up can make this problem serious and intense and can lead to complete deafness.
- Also consult your doctor if you work at some place where you have to bear loud sounds like in factories or on airports. Ask your doctor to suggest you some precautionary measures to protect your ears.
- Genetic hearing loss is not serious and it can be cured. So if you suffer from this kind of problem, don’t worry.
These were some tips regarding preventing hearing loss. Follow these to protect your ears and to have this beautiful gift of nature with you throughout your life.