Kids love to have fish bowls in their rooms and want them to be well-decorated and attractive. But they always lack ideas to decorate a fish bowl as most fish bowls are small and don’t have enough space to hold decorative items. But let me tell you that fish bowls can be decorated with much more items than you can imagine so get ready to help your kid decorating his/her fish bowl with wonderful items:
- Plants are the essential and most common items which are used for decorating fish bowl. If you are unable to use live plants, you can decorate fish bowl with fake plants as well but decorating process with both types of plants will remain the same. Larger plants should always be placed towards back of bowl while smaller plants should be decorated at front. Don’t place plants in middle of bowl as it will not only block viewing but also lessen swimming space for fish.
- Substrates are commonly used to decorate fish bowls as they contain nutrients which are needed by live plants. But if you are using fake plants, your substrate may consist of rocks only. These are available in different colors like white, fluorescent and blue and it all depends on your choice as any color of rock can look good in a fish bowl.
- Substrates consist of smaller rocks but your fish may also love to have larger rocks as well. Smaller fish will be very happy to find larger rocks with holes in them. Holes not only provide space for swimming but also they also provide a space for fish to hide and fish feel that they are living in their natural habitat. Large rocks also give an interesting look to your fish bowl. These rocks should be purchased from pet stores because in pet stores, rocks are treated with special cleaners so that they cannot harm fish.
- How can we forget shells for decorating fish bowls? Prior to putting water and fish into fish bowl, place shells in bottom of bowl so that they can lie properly at their right place.
- Sunken ships, castles, fake fish and scuba divers can also be used as decorative items. These items are available in every pet store or even retail store. While choosing these items, make sure that they go well with the size of your fish bowl.
That was all about my ideas to decorate a fish bowl. Help your kids understanding these ideas and make this activity a fun for you and your kid as well.