Nail biting is as such not a very bad habit but it looks annoying and irritating and many parents have such kids who develop this habit. Are you also worried for your child’s nail biting habit? Don’t worry as there are several ways to top this habit. Some of these are given below:
- The first and very easy way to stop this habit is to teach kids to knit. When they will make attractive and creative things with yarn, their hands will be occupied and they will totally forget about biting their fingernails.
- Another way to keep kids’ hands occupied is to give them something to play with. Play-Doh plays an important role in this regard. It will not only keep hands of your kid occupied but at the same time it will enhance his creative skills.
- If you have a daughter who has adopted this habit then take her for professional manicure because it becomes easier to stop nail biting when your daughter will see her nails beautiful and filed properly.
- Use bitter nail polish that is sold at most of drug stores. When your kid will put his fingers in mouth, he will experience an unpleasant taste which will remind him not to do this again.
- Always carry a nail filer with you because children are more likely to bite their nails when they found their nail edges jagged. Carrying a nail filer will help you to take care of these jagged edges and you will be able to remove them immediately.
- Children find it very difficult to leave this habit so don’t punish them for biting their nails. Instead of it, be patient and compassionate and always encourage kids to leave this bad habit.
- If you see that your kid has started leaving this habit or at least tried to do so, reward them. Rewarding kids will motivate them and they will stop biting their nails soon after this.
- If you feel that nail biting is a result of your kid’s anxiety and worry, then I would recommend you to consult a doctor for better help and consultation. Also talk to your child if he is worried about something and try to reduce his tension.
Follow these simple steps as they have been proved very effective to stop nail biting in children.
Are you worried about disturbed sleeping routine of your child? If yes then you must do something for changing your child’s sleeping habits. Actually good sleeping habits can be developed when a child is only an infant but if you could not do that then don’t worry as you can still develop good sleeping habits in your child. Here I am going to give you some tips which will help you a lot.
Develop a Sleeping Routine
Try to develop a good sleeping routine as in bed time should be the same every night. Sometimes kids may argue with you not to sleep early on weekends. Make your child understand importance of good sleeping habits for their better health. For this, you can make a schedule of your kids like first brushing teeth at night, then listening bed time story and finally go to sleep. Make sure that this routine is followed every day.
Try to Be Strict
You may also have to be somewhat strict about bed time rules. Let your kid understand with your behavior that they have to set a fixed bed time and then follow it without any flexibility. Don’t change your rules even if you are tired or busy. Such behavior will help understand your child the significance of following your rules and bed time routine.
No TV While Falling Asleep
Don’t allow your child ever to watch TV before sleeping. Encourage them to make a habit of sleeping at their own. Watching TV while trying to sleep can stimulate brain of your child and it may have an opposite reaction. Their favorite program on TV may force them to stay awakened till late night and may consequently spoil their sleeping routine.
Encourage Kid to Sleep in Own Room
Your kid may ask you to sleep with you in your room because children feel secure while sleeping with their parents but this habit can spoil your own sleeping routine so encourage your child to sleep in his own room. For satisfaction of your kid, you can provide stuffed toys and animals as kids feel secured having such things in their bed rooms.
Don’t Stay in Kids’ Room at Bed Time
At bed time, escort your kid to his/her bedroom and then say good night and leave. If you will stay in room for longer period of time, your kid may argue with you on changing bed time routine or may force to sleep with you so say a warm good night and leave them alone to sleep.
Follow these simple but useful tips to develop good sleeping habits in your kids. At first, it may seem difficult but its long run benefits are far greater than you can ever expect.